4.27.2013

D.I.Y. Fail (candle decorating)

A few months ago I found this clever D.I.Y project on the net (most likely on pinterest.com) and I saved it with the intention of completing it once I had more free time. It's basically a custom decorated candle: cute, simple and easy. This is the picture I saved:

Using permanent markers, your supposed to draw (any design or phrase) on a piece of wax paper but in reverse. You then wrap the drawn side of the wax paper around the candle and hold it in place. You would then use a blow-dryer to "transfer" your drawing from the wax paper onto the candle. When I attempted to do this, all that happened was: my wax paper was melting quickly, and the candle itself was beginning to soften. The design I had drawn did not transfer onto the candle, all that showed up was the faintest smudge of colour. I had been looking forward to making these to decorate my room and to give to my friends, but it definitely did not work out! 

Perhaps I remembered it wrong, or used the wrong candle type or cheap wax paper, or put the blow-dryer too high, or used crappy permanent markers... I don't know. D.I.Y disappointment!

No comments:

Post a Comment